Bride on a Budget
Looking to tie the knot away from home without breaking the bank? We share eight sure bets for how to save money and still host the destination wedding of your dreams.
• GO WHERE THE DOLLAR IS STRONGER You’ll find great deals all over Latin America, including Mexico and Costa Rica. Puerto Rico is also popular among brides and grooms. Additionally, all-inclusive properties in the Caribbean, such as Sandals and Elite Island Resorts, draw couples with the promise of no hidden fees and taxes.
• WED CLOSER TO HOME This way, you still get out of town but can cut down on transportation costs. Think San Francisco, New York, Key West, Miami or even British Columbia. Vegas, too, is a favorite, budget-friendly spot to tie the knot.
• TRAVEL OFF-SEASON Plane fares and hotel rates are significantly higher during prime season, so consider having your wedding at a less popular time of year. Even booking during the “shoulder” season, a few weeks before and after peak season, makes a big difference.
• WAIT TO BOOK Flexible couples willing to take risks can save a lot by waiting to book the venue and vendors until three to four months before their event. Venues with openings will give you much better rates if you hold off.
• MARRY MIDWEEK Who says you have to marry on a Saturday or Sunday? Get hitched on a Tuesday and take advantage of midweek discounts from vendors and hotels.
• KNOW YOUR PRIORITIES There are always things you can skip and still have a fabulous wedding. Make a priority list of what you can and can’t do without.
• STRIKE A DEAL Resorts and vendors need your business more than ever, so ask for group rates and other discounts.
• ASK FOR PERKS Announce that you’re getting married when you call the airline, resort, restaurants and any other vendors—you could receive a room upgrade, free spa treatments, discounts on dinner, free champagne toasts and other special perks.